Thursday, September 2, 2010

HDR


Well, yesterday was filters so today I thought I'd try an HDR. HDR stands for high dynamic range...cameras, both film and digital, just don't have the tonal range of the human eye. This is most noticable on bright days like today. In any exposure ,either the shadows are blocked up or the highlights are blown out...if you expose for midrange you might get loss of detail in both highlights and shadows. The idea of the HDR is to extend that dynamic range so the detail can be seen across the entire spectrum. Two pictures are taken...using a tripod so both will have identical composition...one is exposed to bring out the detail in the highlights and the other to bring out the detail in the shadows. The two are then blended, so to speak, in software. Theoretically, you get the best of both worlds and an image that is closer to what the eye sees. Usually it works pretty well...sometimes not. I don't do a lot of HDR...it's a little tedious and a lot of work. I'd rather be out behind the camera than in front of the computer!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Is this kind of like me setting my camera up for the 3 different exposures? I know I have that setting then I more than likely could blend them together...Okay I'm tired and rambling, lol...Love the photo!

shutterflycutie said...

Whatever you say maestro....I'm rarely disappointed with any of your exposures!