Sunday, January 16, 2011

Charms Of The Harbor


After a week of cold and three days of rain, the weather finally cleared enough for me to make a pilgrimage to the harbor late this afternoon. This old building was once part of the Gulf King empire. Gulf King was the largest concern at the harbor during it's heyday...ice house, fuel dock, supply store, diesel shop, net shop, packing plant and probably about a hundred gulf trawlers. Gulf king also had the boatyard at the south end of the harbor and that's where this old wreck stands. Gulf King moved all it's boats to central America many years ago...Guatemala, if memory serves and all the other divisions were sold or abandoned...most of the buildings are gone now but the boatyard remains in business as Mile 533 Shipyard. I figured I'd take a few shots of the old place before it falls down but as I was shooting it, it struck me that it looks the same as it has for the last 20 years...and it's still in use!


While I was shooting, along came another blast from the past. This is the Cape Town and she's been tied up at the harbor for at least 3 years and I figured her sea days were over...but here she came...and lookin' pretty good, I might add...headed for the gulf...probably recently sold and headed back to work.



Before it got too dark, I had to head back home but not before I shot this Brown Water tug pushing barges south, toward the bridge, under an amazing sky! I guess bad weather, storms, rain and the remnants thereof have their upside...beautiful evening skies and the promise of better weather to come.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Love, Love, Love...Love the photos and the story behind them...Thanks for sharing :o) I especially like that last one of the sky, awesome!

Wendy said...

P.S. I want the photos of the last pelican you posted and these to frame....

Paula said...

The tug boat reminds me of when my daughters were young and we saw a tug boat with the exact name as my youngest. The Leah Beth. Quite exciting for her. Like your pictures, haven't been to south Padre Island in several years. Hope you don't mind a grandma lurking in your blog.

shutterflycutie said...

you do have a way with the story tellin. I have learned so much about my town and harbor since I met you. The sky is so wonderful to look at....can't wait for more!