Friday, January 28, 2011

Signs And Silvestre's Last Trip


Today was about the most beautiful day you could ever wish for in January...bright, sunny, calm and about 70 degrees. I went to the harbor to bask in all that goodness and the first thing I really noticed was this sign...right next to the cut barbed wire. Guess some people don't think the rules apply to them.
Sigma 50/1.4


While still pretty close to the sign, I got this shot of the Apache pushing a barge south on the ICW...look how close they are to that sandbar...an inch is as good as a mile, I suppose.
Sony 70-300 G



Down at the point of the harbor, on the south end, the bay boat First Born was towing the Silvestre around the point. Silvestre has been tied up at city dock for several months. A couple of weeks ago, they started cutting the rigging off then they started on the gunwales and the wheel house. They cut holes in the deck so the engines could be removed...and then today, they pulled her away from the dock.
Sigma 50/1.4



Around the point and into the channel, they headed north.
Sigma 50/1.4



They passed the wreckage of the Lady Monica and kept heading north
Sigma 50/1.4



They got out of 50mm range and by the time I got the 70-300 back on, they were turning her to push her into the shipyard at Aransas Marine Ways, on the north end of the harbor...on the outside. I guess they will probably haul her out and finish cutting her up...RIP Silvestre
Sony 70-300 G




I put the 50 back on and got ready to head home when I decided to shoot one more little sign. It was on the back glass of a very dirty truck...mine!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Great post! I so love the photos and the story behind them. RIP Silvestre and I totally agree with that sticker!! Thank you John for your service to this country!

shutterflycutie said...

I'm thankful you have been able to chronicle some of the demolition of the boats, something never seen in my youth. They were all robust and active and full of life. I know they must all go to the shipyard eventually. Makes being an adult difficult.