Sunday, February 27, 2011

Don't Drink The Kool-Aid


Looks like Julie is taking a trip to South America. She's been sitting at the harbor for a couple of years...up for sale. The red, yellow and green flag is the national flag of Guyana, most memorable to me for being the country in which Jim Jones convinced or forced some 900 of his followers to drink poisoned Kool-Aid, bringing about one of the largest mass suicide/murders in history. Shrimping is still big business in that part of the world. I drove past the Aransas Marine Ways shipyard and the Carmella Marie was flying the colors too. I guess these old girls have many more years of fishing ahead since they don't give up on a boat down there till they can see through it. Bon Voyage Julie and Carmella Marie! Must have been a good buying trip for the Guyanese...you can see a trailered boat and a Cat diesel engine on the back deck and there's no telling what treasures are in the ice hold.
Minolta 100-200 f4

3 comments:

Paula said...

You see some interesting things down around the coast.Surprisingly as close as I live I haven't spent much time there. My deceased husband used to love to flounder there with my b-i-l and nephew. Since my sister didn't like sand, bites, and hot I stayed home too.

Wendy said...

WooHoo a new life instead of the chop shop! Still sad to see them go...I remember the kool-aid incident, not good! I find your photo humorous though...a boat on a boat! Sounds like a good book for Dr. Sues (sp.)...

shutterflycutie said...

*shaking my head*