Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Meter Is Running


This sign is a fairly recent addition at the City Docks at Conn Brown Harbor. It's a very good indication of how things have changed in Aransas Pass...the shrimpers I used to know would have torn it down and hung it in a bar somewhere.


This is one of those 6.00/hr. parking slots. You'd think for $144.00 per day, you'd at least get a pier that would support a man's weight.



It was a beautiful day though and I got some shots to prove it!







This is a stabiliser...when the outriggers are down, these are lowered into the water, one on each side...they run just below the surface of the water and pull down on the boat...really helps to keep the boat from rolling side to side. With that little tidbit of trawler wisdom, I'll bid y'all adios!
Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6

3 comments:

Paula said...

Thanks for the info. What I know about the coast you could put in a thimble. I get Aransas Pass and Port Aransas mixed up but a few years ago I went with a friend to one of those towns to baby-sit a cat. Yep its the truth.

shutterflycutie said...

AMAZING.....yep, my big brother would have been one of those hanging taking the sign down AND hanging it in a bar!

Wendy said...

LOL...I'm surprised your not out there right now helping those shrimpers take that sign down! What a joke!
Love your photos and I remember what a stabalizer is from the movie "Perfect storm", I still cry when I watch it! And I still love your history and information lessons, keep them coming!