Saturday, April 23, 2011

Old School Fishermen


It was another cloudy, hazy, windy day in the Coastal Bend but I headed out to see what I could find...I stopped at the boat ramps at Ingleside On The Bay and saw this man and 4 boys wading in the bay.


A lot of the Old School local fishermen, like I used to be, never go to the bait shop to buy bait...They catch their own with a cast net...it's just part of the fishing trip. Looks like this guy was showing the kids how it's done.









I'm glad dads still take their kids fishing...it's a great way to spend good family time and to pass along our coastal traditions.



Meanwhile, this reddish egret (another old school fisherman) was after the same thing...I could distinctly hear him mutter; Nets?...we don't need no stinkin' nets!

First image with the Konica-Minolta 28-75/2.8. All others with the Sony 70-200/2.8 G

2 comments:

shutterflycutie said...

love the blog....birds, men, and all

Wendy said...

You should have yelled SHARK!! Just kidding! Fred taught me how to use a cast net and I hate to say it's been awhile...but next weekend we have a fishing tourney so maybe I'll get the cast net out! Fresh shrimp beats frozen but lately we've been using lures, easier in the Kayaks. I bet that Egret wishes he had a net maybe he wouldn't miss so much :o) Glad you got out for some photos!