Monday, April 4, 2011

On The Road With N3J


I had the opportunity to hit the road Saturday with three friends for a photographic excursion in search of wildflowers and local color. We started at 8:00 AM and made a day of it. We really had no destination in mind when we left and more or less let the road take us where it would. We stopped in Goliad and took a little group shot at the Fannin Memorial. In front is N (Norma) and in the back is 3J (Janie, Jan and John)...well in the VERY front is PUD (previously unknown dog)...Pud magically appeared for the group shot then disappeared. She was very friendly but was obviously on a tight schedule and had to be about her business. I was not entirely happy with all my photos but I got some keepers and I have to say that it was a wonderful day on the road with these wonderful friends.


The roadside and fields provided lots of beautiful Texas wildflowers. I've been editing and resizing like a man possessed but still have a long way to go. I'll be posting photos from this trip over the next few days in addition to whatever else I might come up with on my day to day searches.


Along Hwy 181...I think....



You know what they say about the plants and critters in south Texas: Everything you see will bite, scratch, sting or blister. That's not completely true but this guy looked like he was ready to do his part to uphold that reputation.



The lizard may be harmless but the century plant he's on will spear you in a heartbeat.



This colorful thistle is another plant that's not particularly suited to the touchy, feely crowd.



The dedicated photographer will disregard such minor annoyances as ants, spiders, ticks, fleas, grass burrs and the occasional snake...right?



Someone used this windmill for target practice...I guess that's what you get when you put your windmill and tank close to the road!



In some places, color was plentiful!


Another harmless new friend.



Primrose



Didn't see a lot of these...they were small but colorful and pretty.



What's up buttercup?



More tiny pretty things.



Hey, white's a color too!



I guess I'll stop now before we reach wildflower critical mass but I'll be back with more later.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

WooHoo...you made it over to my neck of the woods!! So glad you got out and with friends too! Love the photos, awesome job! Can't wait to see more! Is there such a thing as Wildflower Critical mass? LOL...Oh and by the way those lizards are NOT harmless, they do bite!

Paula said...

The best kind of "outing" is when you have no plans just turn on a road when the urge hits you.John and I know a lot about that. So glad you and your friends had such a nice time. The photos look lovely to me.

shutterflycutie said...

Thanks for the butt shot John, you really know how to flatter a girl! Guess I might be forced to post one of you through my lens!.....I do love the macro tho!