Saturday, July 16, 2011

Purpose


I've posted a shot of this old boat on this blog before. It's one of a vanishing breed down at the harbor. The docks used to be filled with abandoned boats, given up on for one reason or another but most of those are gone now. This one remains and I can't say why...maybe someone still claims ownership and pays lease money to keep her tied up here...just unable to give up on a dream...who knows? I've always loved the look of this boat...she was always easy to look at! Most bay shrimp boats are pretty primitive looking, built of plywood and built for function with little concern for appearance. This boat was different...built with more attention to a pleasing aesthetic...the rounded front of the wheelhouse, the pleasing proportions and the sweeping, sensuous lines of the hull...she was a beautiful girl in her day. I've always been intrigued by the name too...Provider...what a wonderful thing to be a provider, to be able to give those we love the things that they need. That's a value to build a life on and when you can no longer do that...what good are you?...You have no purpose...
Sigma 18-250

3 comments:

shutterflycutie said...

deep...deep....sometimes I wonder about you Mr Wingo....but I agree with what you say. I think we need more carefree fun in our lives! At least a DAY would be nice! I love the old style bodys on the trawlers, and the time when I didn't know what a "trawler" was. They were just shrimp boats and they took the dads and brothers out and brought them back. Too much nostalgia for one day....

Anonymous said...

We all have a purpose in life but it's not for us to dwell on but to just live and take one day at a time :o) ~Wen

Paula said...

Its a pretty boat, not that I know a thing about boats. Wondering did you ever know a man at one of the coastal towns who owned or was part owner of a newspaper, his nickname was Scoop? He was friends of some friends of mine. Several years ago he was taking them to the Apple Festival in the hill country and let them invite me. We had such a nice time and I remember him as being a very nice man.