Sunday, July 24, 2011

South Texas Snow


The snow is on the ground in South Texas...in July! It won't be here long, the pickers are already working...the gins and compresses too.


Pickers eye view...first one to the end of the row gets a big drink of water. I remember my mothers tales of picking cotton. This was back in the late 1920's and early 30's when it was all done by hand and the whole family picked. The boys went to the fields early in the morning, then the girls joined them after they had done the house chores. They worked all day, the girls going home to get supper done while the boys stayed and picked...tough work...I don't know if my mom loved my dad more for the good man that he was or because he rescued her from that cotton patch.


Brush country oasis.


3 comments:

Paula said...

I've heard lots of cotton pickin' tales too but was fortunate to not have to do it myself. In fact I've been pretty lucky. I had to iron those big flared skirts we wore in the 50's and wash supper dishes every other night. Daddy had left the farm and went to work at Kelly Field so I guess we were just in "high cotton" as they say. Course there wasn't any paint on our house and we didn't have a bathroom but we didn't know we were deprived.

Wendy said...

I've picked a lot of sweet corn in my life but not much cotton! Thank goodness! I bet your Mother is very thankful your Dad got her out of there...I would have been! Can you imagine how rough that must have been, just the heat alone, ugh!!

shutterflycutie said...

The cotton fields were just gorgeous! I love seeing the work progressing. When we headed home one evening they were all tinted with the colors of the sunset...pics really do no justice, but I am so glad you got some posted! The oasis looks forlorn...