Monday, November 21, 2011

B Is For...


B is for Blue handled Blush Brush and Blower! My little corner of South Texas gulf coast is pretty hard on photo equipment. If the salt, humidity and ultra violet don't get you, the incessant wind (and the dust that it brings) surely will. These two items have a permanent place in my camera bag, they're indispensable for getting that dust out of places it doesn't belong. A quick browse of any photo catalog or shop will show you the ubiquitous blower brush but I find those things worthless at best and downright harmful at worst. The little blower is too small to do any good and I've never seen one that didn't have hard, coarse bristles. Glass coatings on modern lenses are fragile, their thickness is measured in microns...once scratched, they are a source of all manner of problems. I guard the front elements of my lenses like they were gold...never touch them with my bare hands, never touch them with a lens cloth except as a last resort and then only with a little lubrication from a good quality optical solution...they're too expensive to deserve any lesser treatment. I find the two items pictured above to be very effective on loose dust...the blower usually does the trick but sometimes I have to resort to a few light strokes with the soft brush...your mileage may vary.

3 comments:

Paula said...

I didn't even have a thought that you would need these things in your camera bag. Thats how much I know. My deceased husband was the photographer in our family and I gave his camera to my daughter. He has been dead over twenty years so his camera equipment wouldn't light a candle to the equipment you bloggers have now. All of you sure take some nice pictures.

John Ownby said...

Glad you explained what the "red rocket ship" in the photo was! Guess you can tell I don't know much about photography. I suppose I should quit wiping off the lens of my old point-and-shoot with my nasty handkerchief. I guess I ought to get a blower and brush, though. My wife is buying me what will be the nicest camera I've ever owned for Christmas -- a Nikon Coolpix P7000. Probably not a fancy camera in terms of fancy camera standards, but it will be the nicest one I've ever owned. Not sure it will substantially help my pictures, though!

shutterflycutie said...

You burst my bubble...I was excited trying to figure out how "B" applied to "rocket ship", maybe "blast off"?