Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Back In The Day


A common sight that's not so common in Aransas Pass anymore. I haven't been to the harbor much lately, not only because I just don't get out much these days but it's become depressing to me. Things are changing too quickly for me and I guess I'm just not ready for the change. The demise of a heritage is painful, especially for an old geezer like me. The behemoth is open for business, the old rusty roofed buildings at the shipyard have been demolished, many of the piers and docks have been torn down and the boats...well, there aren't many boats left. Maybe we'll see more when the next season kicks off but they're pretty sparse right now. I don't think there's even a net shop operating anymore...guess there's not much left for me down there...except for the birds and the ICW. PROGRESS...all depends on perspective, I suppose. Guess it's time for me to find a new hangout! This shot is from 2005...back in the day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh John it just means you gotta look a little deeper, there are still fish and Pelicans! Maybe you could start fishing and feed the pelicans? Is it to far to drive down to the canal where the ferries are at? There is always something interesting down there, sloopes and dolphins? ~ Wen

Paula said...

Its good to see you back around here. Hope you find something of interest to photograph and hope you are doing okay.

John Ownby said...

I think I know what you mean. Drove to Sherman yesterday -- first time I've been thee in a really long time. Got lost a couple of times on "new" roads. The old steam laundry is now a trendy restaurant; the old sheet metal shop apparently burned down a long time ago and is now a vacant lot; my dad's old repair shop is now storage for a roofing company. Hardly any local shops downtown anymore -- just strip malls filled with the same retailers you find everywhere. Guess that's progress, but its a shame the cost of progress is often paid for in the loss of local "personality." Oh well.....

shutterflycutie said...

geeee...ditto to all the above. For all the "down" times we have shared, this fall seems to be the "down-est" for us both...and winter hit today with a bang! Hope spring comes early.