Wednesday, November 30, 2011

K Is For...


K is for KNIFE!
I'm glad I grew up in a time when it wasn't a sign of criminal intent to have a knife in your pocket. I got my first one when I was about six years old...my maternal grandparents gave it to me as a holiday gift. It had a picture of the Lone Ranger on one side and a silver bullet on the other...I still have it...still have my trusty Boy Scout knife too. There's nothing quite as handy as a sharp pocket knife. I still carry one every day and find a use for it almost every day. I've had to turn around and go back to the truck to stash my knife on more than one occasion when I've forgotten about the no "weapons" rule in many public buildings. Ah...the good old days! 

4 comments:

Paula said...

I can imagine how proud you were of that first knife and especially who gave it to you. I find myself borrowing John's knife often. Nice "K" entry.

Anonymous said...

Yep I have one in my purse, one in the truck and Fred carries one too. I had to laugh as last fathers day I bought Fred a new pocket knife as the one he was carrying was broken. He called me into the bedroom and he had 7 brand new pocket knifes laid out, oops!! I had no clue he had that many and here I go and buy him a new one, lol. I told him he needed to replace the broken one because I am sure more people would see it and buy him another pocket knife too, lol. I've been wanting to get Michael one but as you said because of the no carry rules now it probably won't happen. I'm afraid he'd take it to school and then get in trouble for taking it, sigh! Totally different world these days! ~ Wendy

John Ownby said...

I, too, have an affinity for cutlery. I've always been a knife "accumulator," and for over 20 years I made custom knives. I took a break from knifemaking 5 years ago to pursue other passions (my hobby was starting to look like a real job, with orders & deadlines). I always have a knife with me, and like you said, I find it useful every day.

shutterflycutie said...

I always think of you when strolling thru the gun shows. I saw some I wish I could have shared with you. I'm still timid about taking a shot at them at the gun shows (no pun intended)