Thursday, December 29, 2011

Gimpster


Several times, I've posted on this blog about my boy, Gimpster. I've shown you a few photos and told you a little about the difficulties of his early days. Gimpster was born with some pretty severe health and development problems...his own mother shunned him and left him to die. I became his surrogate mother and hand fed him and cleaned him up just like a mother would...I don't know, there was just something about him that wouldn't allow me to give up on him. It paid off big time and he became a wonderful companion. Here's a picture of him as a pup, in Sept of 05...he was about six months old in this shot and bearing few signs that he'd had so many problems at birth. Gimpster passed away last night as we slept, leaving a huge hole in my heart...he had shown no signs of illness or distress...just here and happy one day and gone the next. I guess his heart just gave out. We buried him this morning out in the back yard, where he'll be in good company. Some folks say there are no dogs in heaven...I say heaven is full of dogs...and damned few humans. I look forward to meeting him at the gates...I know he'll be there, he was always a faithful and loving companion. I won't be worth a damn for a few days but I'll make it...Gimpster wouldn't have it any other way. RIP old friend..... 

4 comments:

Paula said...

My sympathy on the loss of your beloved Gimpster. I agree there are dogs in heaven and cats too.

Wendy said...

Oh No! I am so sorry John and in tears! May Gimpster rest in peace. It sounds as though he died very peacefully but my heart goes out to you. I totally believe our animals are waiting for us in heaven...I can't wait to see my mare, Trixie, again.

John Ownby said...

John -- I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Dogs become part of our family. My dog is starting to get old, and it's going to be hard when she goes. I've always had a dog, and my only complaint is they just don't last long enough.

shutterflycutie said...

Amen to John's post, we just don't get to keep our babies long enough! This year we have lost some very beloved companions between you and Norma. Her Doc was like my buddy too. Gimpster, as you know, was special to me.I was amazed at his survival after birth. You are a great dad!