Friday, December 30, 2011

Rollei


I debated on whether to take a photo and post a shot today...or not! I decided to go ahead and shoot SOMETHING. This is my dad's Rolleicord, made in Germany in the fifties, it was a pretty excellent camera in it's time. Rollei has a long, and well deserved reputation for building fine cameras. This one, the Rolleicord was not the top of the line, by any means, but it was a pretty cool piece of equipment. It featured automated film advance which was rare and it was all done mechanically...there were no batteries so everything was mechanical. There was no light meter so you either used an external meter or guesstimated, relying on experience and the handy little chart on the back plate. Using 120 or 220 roll film, it made a 4.5 x 4.5 centimeter negative or transparency (for slides) and had a red tinted window on the bottom so you could tell how many shots you had left on the roll. The bottom lens was for taking the picture and the top one was for focus...the view, through the focusing lens was reflected upwards, by a mirror, onto a screen made of ground glass. your view of the subject was the same size as the negative. Seems pretty primitive when compared to the modern cameras of today but...in it's time...it was hot stuff!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I think it is so cool that you and your Dad shared a hobby and that you have his cameras and equipment. I can remember using my friends camera like this, not sure what brand it was but we had a blast playing with it. Love the photo John. I need to go back to your previous post regarding your light box set up. I want to take some photos of some Indian pottery...Something totally new to me any pointers are appreciated :o) Or I could just bring the pieces over to you and have you take photos of them, lol...Hope you have a good New Years Eve!

Paula said...

Cameras seem so complicated to me.

shutterflycutie said...

Awesome!. I remember the Brownie I used when I was like 6. Have been hooked at looking at life thru a lens ever since. My first "real" camera I inherited when my dad passed away. He loved shooting as well.

A Shrimpers Daughter said...

I'm gonna see if I can send a link to this shot to my daughter. She loves old cameras and is a pretty decent little photographer when she puts her mind to it. She does photo projects with one of her friends and they take some cool shots. I don't think they ever focused on a b&w project - might put a bug in their ears.