Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Beginning...


The beginning of what? The beginning of the end. This remote came out of one of the rent houses. The tenant left it there, along with a truckload of other assorted junk, when I had to evict him a little over a month ago. So, why does it symbolize the end? When I was a kid, out in west Texas, we didn't need a remote...we only got one station and it was far away...we all had an antenna mounted on a tall pole beside the house and if we'd had a little wind since we last watched our one channel, we had to go outside and turn the pole so the antenna would be in the right position to pull in the best signal. At our house, that was usually a three person operation...one to turn the pole, one to stand in front of the TV and carefully assess the quality of the signal and a third, crucial, member of the crew to stick their head out the window and relay instructions to the turner of the pole. It was a family group...working, in harmony, toward a common goal. Now, one person, with a remote control, can accomplish that task without even getting their butt out of their chair...remote control is the beginning of the end of civilization as we know it!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

I totally agree, totally!! But if I had it my way in our house we wouldn't even have a TV...

Paula said...

TV wasn't even on all day either so the kids could bet their butts outside and get some exercise. Good memory reminder. Thanks!

John Ownby said...

I remember when we first got a tv. All the neighbors came over to help erect the 40 foot antenna needed to pull in a snowy b&w signal from one of three stations that only broadcast about 3 hours of programming each day. We had the same issue with the wind blowing -- one person on the roof with a pipe wrench to turn the antenna, one at the tv, and one yelling out the window. With today's technology we have a zillion cable channels filled with mind-numbing sitcoms,high definition flat screens to look at, a tv in virtually every room (and on our phones & computers), programs recorded on the dvr, thousands of pay-per-view movies at our fingertips, channel flipping at our fingertips --- and yet there's nothing on worth watching. Progress.....

A Shrimpers Daughter said...

Well, I can't say I was even there when the family got their first TV (youngest of 7 kids)....but I do well remember being the one standing outside the window relaying "turn it some more" messages between the person standing at the TV and the one on the roof! lol I also well remember my dad pranking guests by taking me up on the roof with him and having me lay down and hang my head off the roof so I could see in the living room window and tell him every time someone got up to fix the picture...he would then stop running the butter knife across the antennae! lololol Oh what a boatload of memories you've given me access to, John! Thanks!

shutterflycutie said...

Amen Grace...I'd forgotten about that and the other pranks daddy loved to pull! I remember our first tv was from Pop (our grandfather) who had upgraded from a cabinet style b/w to a "portable" table top b/w. Us kids were so happy while the parents debated with all their friends how much evil would enter our home thru this device. We had to go to our "rich" neighbors house to watch the "Wizard of Oz" in color tho. Thanks for the great memory and all the laughs John